As announced in the Fall 2016 Edition of the Sea Scout Log, a team of dedicated volunteers has been hard at work for over two years developing and advocating for the approval of the Sea Scout Leadership
Beginning in 2017, we will now have the opportunity to recognize the efforts of the youth and adult leaders who make Sea Scouting happen everyday. If you have a deserving Sea Scout or adult volunteer in mind, you can now access the nomination form and associated information at seascout.org/leadership-award.
To be eligible for the SSLA, one must:
- Be registered and involved as a Sea Scout or Sea Scouter for at least one year,
- Hold a leadership position or an office at the unit, district, council, area, region, or national level.
- Show exceptional dedication and give outstanding leadership and service to Sea Scouting and to Sea Scouts (at the level appropriate for the award).
The nomination process largely resemble the process used for the Venturing Leadership Award.
Nomination deadlines are as follows:
- Council – Dates are set by the local council; turn forms in to the local council.
- Area – April 1 to the national service center, Office of the Sea Scout Director
- Region – March 1 to the national service center, Office of the Sea Scout Director
- National – March 1 to the national service center, Office of the Sea Scout Director
The current annual quotas are as follows:
- Council – 1 per council with up to 5 ships, 1 for each additional 5 ships or fraction thereof. (For example, if your Council has two ships, you can present one award annually. If you have six ships, you can present two awards annually, and so on.)
- Area – Up to 2
- Regional – Up to 2
- National – Up to 2
There will be a balance of awards; if more than one award is presented, at least 50% of the
awards will be presented to youth. For example, if 2 awards are presented at least one must be
awarded to a youth; and so on.